This is an update, from a previous blog post, of a landscape design and installation project Designing Eden installed in the fall of 2010, in Ridgefield, CT.  Watching and maintaining this garden’s growth through its first full growing season has been a real joy.  Despite the wettest year in Connecticut history, I would consider this season a success.  Partly due to its small in town location, the historic house and creative latitude I’m given.  This landscape continues to be one of my all time favorite landscape projects.  Originally, when meeting the homeowners, they had a lot of pictures of gardens they admired.  Most of those gardens where heavily planted with annuals.  After talking to them about the positives and negatives of an all annual garden and the approximate costs associated with them, we decided on a mix of approximately 80% perennial/woody plants leaving 20% of the gardens open for annuals that would be swapped out multiple times a year.  That mix would give the garden the best of both worlds, a lot of seasonal color yet minimizing long term maintenance.  Despite all the successes, there were some small challenges throughout the season, especially with over watering.  Over watering is a common problem with landscapes that have new irrigation systems.  Understandably, homeowners want to use what they purchase but water can be often overused in a new landscape.  Infrequent, deeper watering cycles typically produce healthier, stronger turf and landscapes.  Below are some of the 2011 landscapes scenes.Had to throw that one in so you can see why I love this transformation so much.

If you are interested in landscapes for historic house, I encourage you to visit Designing Eden’s website at www.DesigningEden.com

Recommended Posts

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. You consent to our cookies if you continue to use our website more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.