Landscape Team Leader
Designing Eden LLC is a small landscape design, installation, and garden maintenance company based in New Milford, CT, 20 minutes north of Danbury.
The landscaping team leader is an experienced landscaper working with minimal supervision. The position works as a member of the team and directs the activities of two or more team members at a job site. The landscape team leader is able to operate a variety of equipment and has a working knowledge of horticultural practices.
- Reads landscape blueprints, reviews plan with designer, and implement the landscape construction plan
- Operate a variety of mechanical equipment including, but not limited to back hoes, skid steers, tillers, sod cutters, string trimmers, plant augers, chainsaws and blowers.
- Operates automatic and stick shift vehicles, such as dump trucks and truck and trailer combinations.
- Routinely interacts with clients by the way of introductions at the beginning of a job, answering questions, responding to client requests, making reasonable changes to the plan, and providing a walk-through at the job’s completion.
- Completes the necessary paperwork at the beginning and end of every day.
- Plans and organizes the job, ensuring that sufficient resources and materials are available. Also ensure that the job is completed in the most time-efficient manner.
- Manages a team of two or more employees, including handling personnel issues on site and training employees on policies and procedures.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment, including work site and equipment.
- Briefs owner and makes recommendation on job status, personnel issues, or client concerns.
- Works as a member of the team.
- Maintains assigned equipment and notifies owner of needed repairs.
- Knowledge of plants, basic horticulture skills and the ability to understand a landscape plan is preferred.
- Applicant must have a great attitude with a willingness to learn and be energetic.
- Have the ability to keep workers on task and take direct from others.
- Have experience and the ability to work outdoors in all types of weather and lift heavy objects for long periods of time.
- Applicant must be legal to work in the US.
- Applicant must have a clean and valid CT driver’s license with reliable transportation.
- Experience with large, manual transmission ‘non CDL’ trucks.
- Applicant must have a neat appearance, be efficient, and detail oriented with good communication skills.
- Bi-lingual is a plus.
- We are smoke-free workplace. Department of Transportation requires a pre-employment and random drug and alcohol tests throughout employment. Background check is also performed.
Knowledge and Experience
- 1 or more years of experience in the landscaping field is preferred but not required.
- A candidate without landscape experience should have a work history that involves manual, outdoor labor.
- Candidate must be able to read and write.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, math skills, job planning skills, and mechanical aptitude are a must.
The physical demands outline are examples of the type of demands the employee will encounter on the job site.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; crouch; stoop or kneel; reach with hands and arms; talk; and hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 80 pounds. Drug and alcohol test is dictated by the CDL requirements.
Job Site Conditions
The job site conditions described below are examples of those conditions an employee encounters while performing the essential responsibilities of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, outside weather (heat or cold), and moving mechanical equipment.
In addition, job sites are located on both residential and commercial property. The employee may also occasionally be exposed to the homeowner’s pets.
The employee will work closely with members of the team, landscape designer, other team leaders, the owner, and clients.
Full-time, seasonal. Available daily from 7am-6pm and Saturdays in spring/early summer.
Required license or certification: A clean driver’s license.